xDB Schema Updates
I am a new user using xDB to replicate data from PostGRE to MS SQL server for reporting and business intelligence. Our production datbases undergo varioius schema updates 3 or 4 times annually. What are the best practices for updating schema on SMR replicated databases? Is there a better way then to:
- Remove scheduled replications
- Remove impacted tables from publication
- Manually remove impacted tables from MS SQL target DB
- Apply schema changes to impacted tables
- Re-Add impacted tables to publication
- Re-Add scheduled replications
Looking for best practices others may have devloped.
Effective March 31st, we will no longer engage on PostgresRocks.
How to engage with us further?
- Thought Leadership: EDB Blogs
- Tips and Tricks: Postgres Tutorials
- Customer Support: Create a Case Please note: Only customers with an active EDB support subscription and support portal authorization can create support ticket
- Engage on Stackoverflow While engaging on Stackoverflow tag the question with EDB or EnterpriseDB.
Re: xDB Schema Updates
Hope you are doing well.
Could you please elucidate more on the below points, so that we can understand your environment more and suggest accordingly.
. In your XDB SMR setup is PostgreSQL the master and Microsoft SQL server is the target?
. Could you please let us know the exact version of both the source and target?
. As you mentioned there are changes done frequently in the schema in your database. Could you please let us know what kind of changes and in which database (Source/target) ?
. Is there changes in the table DDL level also?