cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pem error message

Silver Adventurer

Pem error message

when i click on memory analysis dash board i get this message. Is this because of a misconfiguration?

Capture.JPG

Tags (1)
15 REPLIES 15
Level 3 Adventurer

Re: Pem error message

Hi MattGorham,

It seems like the local pem agent is unable to connect to server due to pg_hba authentication.

Can you please check worker.log and attach here as well.

Silver Adventurer

checked worker.log and found these messages at the end of the log.

Fri Jan 25 15:16:28 2019 WARNING: Heartbeat: Unable to connect to server: 14, error: unable to connect to server 14 dbname postgres: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Fri Jan 25 15:16:29 2019 WARNING: Heartbeat: Unable to connect to server: 6, error: asb cache miss for server 6.
Fri Jan 25 15:16:30 2019 WARNING: Heartbeat: Unable to connect to server: 25, error: unable to connect to server 25 dbname postgres: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Fri Jan 25 15:16:30 2019 WARNING: Heartbeat: Unable to connect to server: 14, error: unable to connect to server 14 dbname postgres: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Fri Jan 25 15:16:31 2019 WARNING: Heartbeat: Unable to connect to server: 6, error: asb cache miss for server 6.
Fri Jan 25 15:16:31 2019 WARNING: probe execution error (id=2 param={25}): unable to connect to server 25 dbname postgres: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

Fri Jan 25 15:16:31 2019 WARNING: probe execution error (id=1 param={14}): unable to connect to server 14 dbname postgres: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

Fri Jan 25 15:16:31 2019 WARNING: Heartbeat: Unable to connect to server: 25, error: unable to connect to server 25 dbname postgres: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Fri Jan 25 15:16:31 2019 WARNING: Heartbeat: Unable to connect to server: 14, error: unable to connect to server 14 dbname postgres: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Fri Jan 25 15:16:33 2019 WARNING: Heartbeat: Unable to connect to server: 6, error: asb cache miss for server 6.
Fri Jan 25 15:16:33 2019 WARNING: Heartbeat: Unable to connect to server: 25, error: unable to connect to server 25 dbname postgres: fe_sendauth: no password supplied
Fri Jan 25 15:16:33 2019 WARNING: Heartbeat: Unable to connect to server: 14, error: unable to connect to server 14 dbname postgres: fe_sendauth: no password supplied

Level 3 Adventurer

Hi MattGorham,

The issue is with connection string used for connecting local database on PEM server. As log says unable to connect to server database due to no password supplied/failing to authenticate.

You can set .pgpass or just try to put trust entry for pem user connecting to pem database for a local server (127.0.0.1) and check.

Let us know if you need further assistance on this. 

Silver Adventurer

so i have to create an entry in the .pgpass file for each postgres system i am attempting to monitor?

matt

Highlighted
Level 3 Adventurer

Hi  MattGorham,

The snapshot you send is indicating local agent for pem server unable to connect to pem server itself, it is not related to database instance it is monitoring.

pem server local agent uses below pg_hba entry to connect to the pem server database.

hostssl pem +pem_user 127.0.0.1/32 md5
hostssl pem +pem_agent 127.0.0.1/32 cert

pem server local agent unable to connect to pem server database as failing for password. 

Either you can set password to the PEM_MONITORED_SERVER_PASSWORD environment variable on pem server or to create .pgpass file on pem server.

.pgpass file format: (you can put '*' matching any entries)

hostname:port:database:username:password
<pem-server/IP>:<pem-db-port>:<db-name>:<user-connectiong-to-db>:<password>

Silver Adventurer

where is this located.

"Either you can set password to the PEM_MONITORED_SERVER_PASSWORD environment variable on pem server"

Level 3 Adventurer

This is just environment variable which you need to set by doing an export on pem server under 'postgres' user (if user account under which the PEM agent will run is postgres)

Please let us know.

Silver Adventurer

i created and entry on the pem server under the postgres user,  in .pgpass file like below,  but with my info, 

<pem-server/IP>:<pem-db-port>:<db-name>:<user-connectiong-to-db>:<password>,

still getting error

however i am still seeing pemerror.JPG

Hi Matt,

Just curious--did you supply a password when registering your PEM agent(s)?