cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EFM not reqlinquishing IP VIP

Level 3 Adventurer

EFM not reqlinquishing IP VIP

Currently running EFM 3.1 in our lab. When I shut down the service on all 3 systems (master/standby/witness), the VIP stays active, unless I disable efm on startup and reboot each server.

Am I missing something?

(running RHEL 7)

Thank you

5 REPLIES
Highlighted
EDB Team Member

Re: EFM not reqlinquishing IP VIP

@lgwapnitsky wrote:

Currently running EFM 3.1 in our lab. When I shut down the service on all 3 systems (master/standby/witness), the VIP stays active, unless I disable efm on startup and reboot each server.

Yes, it's supposed to work that way. Otherwise you would break all of your applications when you shut down efm, as they wouldn't be able to talk to the master database any more. When starting efm on a master node, it will get the VIP for you if the node doesn't already have it, but that's just a convenience feature. Normally the master database node would have it already if there are applications using the database.

If you want to drop the VIP anyway, you can use the efm_address script in the bin directory (which just does 'ip addr del' so you could run that instead).

Bobby

Level 3 Adventurer

Tried that, and received errors. Will get a screenshot of it later, as I'm running a migration test right now, and efm is off.
Level 3 Adventurer

Warning: Executing wildcard deletion to stay compatible with old scripts.
         Explicitly specify the prefix length (10.200.0.98/32) to avoid this warning.
         This special behaviour is likely to disappear in further releases,
         fix your scripts!
RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address

also, I need to shut efm completely as i'm testing my migrations, else my app tries to connect intermittently. Looking to see if that's causing an issue i'm experiencing

EDB Team Member

I haven't seen that error before. Can you show how you're running 'ip' or 'efm_address' to get that? This is probably more of a question for your network admin, but maybe someone can help here anyway.

When you start efm on a master node without the vip, it gets the VIP ok, right? Weird that you'd get an error with the same script/command when trying to release it.

As you know, efm and the VIP aren't really related -- the VIP should normally be around whether efm is running or not on a master. But just so you're not surprised: if you drop the VIP while efm is running, it will check for that periodically and re-acquire it, send email, etc. Don't want you to be caught off guard. (Similarly, non-master agents will check every now and then to make sure their node does not have the VIP.)

Cheers,

Bobby

Level 3 Adventurer

I'm actually the guy responsible for the config on our RHEL servers, so this is boggling to me. That address only exists as a DNS entry, and in the efm.properties files.