cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows installer sets wrong collation and lc_ variables

Highlighted
Adventurer

Windows installer sets wrong collation and lc_ variables

Hello, I hope this is the right place to report this.

I found what seems like an incorrect behavior in the windows installer. When you select a region configuration in the installer, what appears to be a parent default is used instead, for example if Spanish, Mexico is selected, the collation Spanish_Spain.1252 will be used and all the lc_ variables in postgresql.conf like lc_monetary, lc_messages, etc. will also use that value. It makes no difference if the OS is configured to use Spanish, Mexico. However if the OS is configured to use Spanish, Mexico and the default option to use the system region is selected in the installer, then the correct Spanish_Mexico.1252 value is applied for the databases collation and postgresql.conf lc_ variables.

As a test I also tried with other languages and see the same results, OS is configured with Spanish, Mexico, then in the installer English, Ireland is selected, and English, United States will be used, but If the OS is configured to use English, Ireland and the default option is selected in the installer, the values applied are as expected, English, Ireland.

The installer I'm running is for Postgres 10, I don't know if the same happens for other versions. Could someone else confirm this behavior in the installer? or It's just me?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
EDB Team Member

Re: Windows installer sets wrong collation and lc_ variables

Hi marakame,

The “Locale” filed is by default set to “Default locale”, which is nothing but your Operating System locale. Hence, accordingly, the locale values will be set.

Please refer below link for more details.

https://www.enterprisedb.com/edb-docs/static/docs/postgresql/10/PostgreSQL_Installation_Guide_v10.pd...

Hope this helps.

Please let us know in case of any queries.

Adventurer

Re: Windows installer sets wrong collation and lc_ variables

Hello,

Yes, when you select the default locale in the installer, the OS locale is applied, what I think is an incorrect behavior is that when you explicitly select a different locale in the installer, e.g. "Spanish, Mexico", Postgres gets installed with "Spanish, Spain", or selecting "English, Ireland", ends up installing "English, United States".

Thanks again.