Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postgresql 11 failing to Install on Windows

SOLVED
EDB Team Member

Re: Postgresql 11 failing to Install on Windows

Hi  gschra11,

Thank you for the update.

We are glad to hear that your problem has been solved. 

Warm Regards,

Dhananjay

Regards,
Dhananjay
EDB Team Member

Hi gschra11,

The error which your getting in the logs was mainly causes by the antivrus or firewall issue, however we have noticed that from past working experience on windows some of the services are interfering with postgresql installation on windows machines.

We have noticed some service problem for other user as well in his environment "BeyondTrust PowerBroker for Windows Service" is somehow interfering with postgresql installation. It was causing double quotes to be removed from cscript command and hence  installation was failing.They stopped "BeyondTrust PowerBroker for Windows Service" and the postgresql installation completed without any  error.

So in our previous response we requested to check above services is interfering with postgresql installation but in your case other service like "Dell SecureWorks Red Cloak" was causing the issue.

Glad to hear that your problem has been resolved. 

Level 3 Traveller

Hi

I have tried all the steps but still not able to install pg11 on win 10 - Dell.

Kindly help.

Thanks

EDB Team Member

Hi Dheeraj,

Could you please provide the permissions to veiw/download the bitrock installer files you have shared with us, when opening those files it says "permission denided" error and also I would recommend you to update on this thread, instead of replying to. 

Level 3 Traveller

I have the same problem, how did you realize that there is a hidden program background on the server? Please help me I am really stuck! 

Thank you

EDB Team Member

Hello @asya236 

I am suspecting that some other programs might stop you to proceeding with installation. i.e Antivirus programs, or firewall blockings , Dell Secure services or etc.. or else there would be some wrong configuration in setup. 

If you face same issue, Could you please attach bitrock installer log file. So that we will verify that what is causing installation. 

Please let me know if you need anymore details. 

Regards

Siva.

EDB Team Member

Hello @asya236 

I am suspecting that some other programs might stop you to proceeding with installation. i.e Antivirus programs, or firewall blockings , Dell Secure services or etc.. or else there would be some wrong configuration in setup. 

If you face same issue, Could you please attach bitrock installer log file. So that we will verify that what is causing installation. 

Please let me know if you need anymore details. 

Regards

Siva.

Level 3 Traveller

Hello Siva

I do not have any antivirus.
I have tried installation after deactivating the firewall, it didn't help.
Lastly, I checked the control panel - uninstall program and could not find Dell
SecureWorks Red Cloak.

Please help with an alternative method.

Thanks
Highlighted
EDB Team Member

Hi @dheerajtuteja , 

Then it seems to have some configuration problem. i.e From bitrock installer log file, The below message is recorded

" Executing batch file 'rad01621.bat'...
The program "postgres" was found by "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/11/bin/initdb.exe"
but was not the same version as initdb.
Check your installation."

Error description: The version of postgres.exe and version of initdb.exe is different in installation location. i.e Before installtion,  please clean the directory if anything present  where you are installing postgres software(basically C:\program files\PostgreSQL\11). And check if any Environmental variables set in your machine points to old versions of postgresql. 

Environment Variables in Windows: Right click on my computer --> Properties -->Advanced System settings-->Click on Environmental Variables and check PATH.

Please check below steps. 

1. Whenever you uninstall, please uninstall with "uninstall-postgresql.exe" which is present on "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11" Location. and remove everything under "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11" if anything left and then try.

2. If you are trying to installing 11.2 then please try with 11.4(which is latest) and check results.

3. Please proceed with steps which i suggested, Which might help you to overcome error.

4. During installation ending, If you still see the error popup, Please run below commands on cmd and crosscheck versions. Because installation is failing due to mismatch of below files versions. 

"c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin\postgres.exe" --version
"c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\11\bin\initdb.exe" --version

Please let us know if you face any issues still.

Regards

Siva.

Level 3 Traveller

Hello Siva

I have tried this as well.
Unfortunately, the same error.

Best, DT