Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Postgresql 11 failing to Install on Windows

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 2 Adventurer

Re: Postgresql 11 failing to Install on Windows

Ranjan and Slonkar,

I have taken a total of 36 screen shots of my installation process and of all the dialog boxes that appered when I ran Slonkar's command. Additionally, I zipped up all of my temp files generated during the process. I have uploaded all 37 of these files to the link Ranjan provided me above.

Please let me know if you have any trouble receiving them.

Thanks!

Level 3 Adventurer

Hi gschra11,

Thanks for the detail out, we received the information you shared.

Have tried the reinstallation, just ensure to remove the existing data directory created before going with reinstallation because we can see an error saying data directory is not empty. 

Level 2 Adventurer

Yep, I remove the data folder after uninstallation and before reinstallation each time.

Additionally, installing to a different, non-default folder didn't fix the problem, either.

Thanks!

EDB Team Member

Hi gschra11,

We are escalating this issue to our engineering team. 

We will update you as soon as we hear back from them.

Thank you for being patience.

Regards,
Dhananjay
EDB Team Member

Hi gschra11,

Can you try executing the installer on the administrator command prompt with "--enable_acledit 1"  switch and share the bitrock installation log with us to anlysis further on this.

Level 2 Adventurer

Kapil,

I have executed the command you sent me and uploaded the file to the link that Ranjan provided me earlier. Please let me know that you received the file and if you need anything else.

Thanks!

EDB Team Member

Hello, 

Hope you are doing good. 

I have verified logs uploaded, Here i see the Message "Service postgresql-x64-11 started successfully" on bitrock log file. I am suspecting some process is blocking psql program. Or Permission issues on data directory. I am kindly requesting you to please follow below steps and update us , 

1. Uninstall Postgresql if it was already installed, And install on New Data Directory with Different location(try with other than C drive if possible), Give Full Access on Data Directory to Users, Then start installation.

2. Please trun off blockers like Windows Defender or Firewall or Any Powerbrocker for windows and make sure all are disabled during installtion.

3. Start installtion follow steps as you followed for installation earlier, Then if you get failed message "Failed to load modules" , instead of closing Dialog box, Check whether postgresql services are running or not in windows services, If services are running, Please fire psql command with all Connection options and check connectivity, Ex:below

<Binary_path>/psql.exe -d postgres -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres

<Binary_path>/psql.exe -d postgres -h <External-IP> -p 5432 -U postgres

4. Please update us If services are not running when got "Failed to load Modules" dialogue, We will discuss this internally and update you soon.

Please let us know if you need any help further.

Regards,

Siva.

Level 2 Adventurer

Hi, Siva,

I have completed your requested tasks and have uploaded the resulting bitrock_installer.log to the link. Please let me know that you received it.

I installed per the command you sent me last time with the --enable_acledit 1 switch and with Windows Defender disabled.

I also installed to a different folder that I let the installer create.

The installation still failed and the PostgreSQL service was NOT running at the time I got the error message, so I was unable to execute the PSQL command.

Please let me know if you need anything else from me.

Thanks!

EDB Team Member

Hello, 

As i said in last communication,  Could you please Follow my steps, Please do not execute any on cmd terminal. 

I have verified logs uploaded, Here i see the Message "Service postgresql-x64-11 started successfully" on bitrock log file. And Error reading postgresql.conf file(Same as earlier). Below steps are same as earlier with Minor differences. 

NOTE: if you try with new user , Please add this user to Administrators and Power Users groups and give full access to Empty data directory and start installation on it. 

1. Can you please create a new data directory other than C drive and give full permissions to users and administrators. 

2. Please trun off blockers like Windows Defender or Firewall or Any Powerbrocker for windows and make sure all are disabled during installtion.
3. Install with Adminstrator privileges, After installation , Please check service status, if service is running please fire below commands and check.

<Binary_path>/psql.exe -d postgres -h localhost -p 5432 -U postgres
<Binary_path>/psql.exe -d postgres -h <External-IP> -p 5432 -U postgres

4. If services are not running, check If initdb creates new cluster, check pg_logs for any error while starting cluster., 

5. Please update us If services are not running when got "Failed to load Modules" dialogue, We will escalate this issue to Enginerring team. 

Please let us know if you need any help further., 

Regards,
Siva.

Level 2 Adventurer

Hello, all,

Well, I found the problem this morning.

Turns out there was a "hidden" Administrator program running in the background on the server that I didn't have access to and couldn't even tell was running. A program called Dell SecureWorks Red Cloak was preventing the installation scripts from running properly. Once we got rid of that program, installation worked flawlessly. I'm up and running!

I'm sorry this took as much of your time and efforts that it did... I started scrutinizing every little process and service that Windows was running just to see if there was any way something was running that was interferring with PostgreSQL, and it turns out that is exactly what happened.

That said, I do very much appreciate your time and efforts in helping me out. Speaks volumes about the community and support behind the product and makes me feel much better about deploying it knowing there is such a dedicated group behind it. Thank you!!!

Tags (2)