Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online Backup Issue

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 2 Adventurer

Online Backup Issue

While taking backup, after I execute start_backup command the backup file should be created in the data diecrtory. In my case it is not getting created. is it getting created somewhere else, if yes how can I find that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EDB Team Member

Re: Online Backup Issue

Hi esamuel,

The steps you shared with us are correct , can you share the commands you are using with its outputs.

Also, if you can check the data_directory and port using show command at session level are same on which you are executing the backup start stop commands and performing rsync.

4 REPLIES
EDB Team Member

Hi esamuel,

After you execute pg_start_backup('label') command and if it executes successfully then the backup_label file is created in the data_directory. It will disappear after you execute pg_stop_backup(). However, if you use pg_basebackup then the backup _label file is created in the backup directory and not in the current data_directory.

Let us know what steps are you following for taking backup.

Level 2 Adventurer

Yes my start backup command is executing properly.   

The steps are : 1. Start backup

2. rsync the contents of data directory to backup location follwed by compression.

3. execute stop command.

All the commands execute without any issue. Still I cannot recover backup it does not have backup file and the recovery says novalid  bakup file present.

EDB Team Member

Hi esamuel,

The steps you shared with us are correct , can you share the commands you are using with its outputs.

Also, if you can check the data_directory and port using show command at session level are same on which you are executing the backup start stop commands and performing rsync.

Level 2 Adventurer

Got it. There was a default data directory running and default connections as well.

Thanks a ton.