cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No templates in DB after V12 install on macOS Catalina

Adventurer

No templates in DB after V12 install on macOS Catalina

Have the templates been discontinued with postgreSQL 12 ?

They were present after install on V10. Only DB 'postgres' there after install of V12.

Am I missing something?

9 REPLIES 9
EDB Team Member

Re: No templates in DB after V12 install on macOS Catalina

Hi @crashmeister,

Whenever you install the PG 12, the template0 and template1 DB are created automatically.

I have tested it on the macOS Sierra when I install and initialize the cluster, it creates 4 databases :

admin
postgres
template0
template1

When I initialize a new data directory with the initdb it creates 3 databases :

postgres
template0
template1

Could you please verify that installation and cluster initialization is completed correctly.

Regards,

Sudhir

Adventurer

My install looked good. Please test on macOS Catalina.

Adventurer

There have been three macOS releases since Sierra: High Sierra, Mojave and Catalina. Time to get up to date so your testing is relevant.

NB: Catalina is 64 bit ONLY. No 32 bit code will run. This was announced months ago and EDB should have had this ready to go.

Community Manager

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. We have been working to keep the versions updated, however, there was a delay which we are working on improving.

As for the original issue where you had stated that you had seen Admin DB getting created along with postgres, template0 and template1; our code of installer doesn't create an Admin template. It only create postgres, template0 and template1.

If you could point us to the installer which you had used which created the Admin template, that could help clarify things at our end.

Adventurer

The 'admin' DB was in YOUR reply. I never mentioned it.

I am using the latest download - postgresql V12.

EDB Team Member

Hi crashmeister,

Can you please share the link from where you downloaded the installer which gave the issue of no template databases? The reason we are asking this is that there are multiple sources to download the installer.

Adventurer

Sorry, I did not realize there were multiple sources.

I went to https://www.postgresql.org, selected 'Download' , selected macOS under 'Binary packages', then Download the installer certified by EnterpriseDB for all supported PostgreSQL versions.

That page has the URL : https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads

Hope this helps.

EDB Team Member

Hi @crashmeister,

Thanks for the update. When initdb runs, it creates template1, then template0 and then the postgres database, the latter two both using the template1 database as their template.

Could you please share the output of the below command by connecting to the DB :

select * from pg_database;

Adventurer

Well what do you know! PgAdmin does not show them, but they are there!

I looked around - found a setting in PgAdmin preferences - Show System Objects. When set to true, the templates show up.

Look at File/Preferences/Browser/Display - it's the last entry.

Thanks for persisting with this. I can now update template1 with the features I want in all my databases.