Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Webinar Follow-Up] Discover What's New in Postgres & Advanced Server 12

Highlighted
Community Manager

[Webinar Follow-Up] Discover What's New in Postgres & Advanced Server 12

Webinar Follow Up:

We hope you had a chance to join us for the webinar!!   If not, don't worry! 

You can view the webinar via the link below. Be sure to check out the Q & A Session too!

Listen to Postgres experts, Bruce Momjian and Marc Linster 'live' as they take you through the new features and improvements in Postgres and Advanced Server 12. 

• New compatibility features
  • PostgreSQL: Table access methods
  • Partitioning Improvements

Date: Tuesday, 12 Nov, 2019

WATCH THE WEBINAR: Discover What's New in Postgres & Advanced Server 12

Q & A SESSION:

Question:

Do we have local and global indexes on partitioned tables? 

Answer:

Partitions have local indexes, and you can create an effective global index by creating individual local indexes on each partition if the partition key is part of the global index. You cannot create a global index that does not use the partition key values.  For example, you can't create a unique index on a social security
number if the social security number is not part of the partition key.  As a workaround, you can create a separate table that stores the partition key and social security number, and put a unique index on the social security number, and create triggers to add/update/delete rows from that separate table.   

Bruce Momjian will be writing a blog about this topic in the next two months, so please check back on the EDB website for the blog.

_____

Question:

I have Windows 10 OS laptop where I want to install Postgres Advanced Server 12 tablespace. How will it be installed with existing PostgreSQL?

Answer:

One can install the Postgres Advanced Server 12 tablespace in Windows 10 OS, I don't see any issue in that.

_____

Question:

Does v12 supports interval partitioning?

Answer:

Yes EPAS v12 supports interval partitioning.

_____