Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming replication problem

SOLVED
Level 2 Adventurer

Streaming replication problem

Dear All,

Iam doing streaming replication between PostgreSQL community version to EDB Advanced server. It is possible or not? Same versions for example PostgreSQL community version is 9.6.2 and EDB Advanced Server PostgreSQL compatability version is 9.6.2.7.  PostgreSQL community version taken as Master and EDB Advanced Server taken as Slave server.

I am already configured, streaming is also happens, but Slave server (EDB Advanced Server) I am trying to connect to ./psql I will get below error message.

ERROR: psql.bin: FATAL: role "postgres" is not permitted to log in

Iam try to access port number also I will get below error message.

./psql -p 5432 

psql.bin: could not connect to server: No such file or directory

Is the server running locally and accepting connections on unix domain socket. 

"/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

I checked the /tmp directory .s.PGSQL.5444  port number is running, and postmaster.pid also contains 5444 port number. But I am stop this database cluster and take the basebackup of PostgreSQL Community version and start the cluster. but postmaster.pid file contains port number is 5444. 

Why this  take 5444 port not in 5432 port ?

Please clarify the issuse?

Regards,

Malli.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 2 Adventurer

Re: Streaming replication problem

This is the migration process. Then after moving to continous streaming replication between these two servers.

7 REPLIES 7
EDB Team Member

Hi mallit333,

Streaming replication is not possible from the PostgreSQL-9.6 community version to EPAS-9.6.

However, we would like to ask you the intention behind this activity, so that we can guide in the proper direction.

i.e. 1. Is it one-time migration activity or

2. Do you require continues replication between both these clusters?

Regards,
Dhananjay
Level 2 Adventurer

This is the migration process. Then after moving to continous streaming replication between these two servers.

EDB Team Member

Hi Malli,

There is no direct native solution for your requirement of migrating and continuos streaming replication between Community PostgreSQL to EPAS. 

However, this can be achieved via EDB Postgres Replication Server.

Kindly refer this link for detailed documentation of the EDB Postgres Replication Server.

Hope this helps. 

Regards,
Dhananjay
Level 2 Adventurer

Dear Team,

This is one of major requirement is coming your end. We are tested in test environment, I am facing this issues.  Please look into this issues I think these are the minor issues, but streaming replication is happens, But the problem is not accessing slave server. Remaining functionalities are working properly.

Regards,

Malli.

EDB Team Member

Hi Malli,

Replication setup between PostgreSQL-9.6 to EPAS-9.6 is not recommended.

For your requirement, we request you to use EDB Postgres Replication Server.

Regards,
Dhananjay
Level 2 Adventurer

Dear Team,

Just saw the link, I have one dought please clarify me 

Single master-slave replication  and master - master replication is possible by using the logical replication. 

My question is it is supported of Postgresql community version to EDB Advanced PostgreSQL compatability version or not?

Regards,

Malli.

EDB Team Member

Hi Malli,

Answer to your question is "yes". It does support SMR and MMR between Community PostgreSQL and EPAS.

The following are some combinations of cross-database replications that xDB Replication Server supports for single-master replication:

From Oracle to PostgreSQL
From Oracle to Advanced Server
From SQL Server to PostgreSQL
From SQL Server to Advanced Server
From Advanced Server to Oracle
From PostgreSQL to SQL Server
From Advanced Server to SQL Server
Between PostgreSQL and Advanced Server

For multi-master replication, xDB Replication Server supports the following configurations:
Between PostgreSQL database servers
Between PostgreSQL database servers and Advanced Servers in PostgreSQL compatible mode
Between Advanced Servers in PostgreSQL compatible mode
Between Advanced Servers in Oracle compatible mode

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Dhananjay