Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standby is in promoting state after autofailover using EFM

SOLVED
Highlighted
Level 3 Adventurer

Standby is in promoting state after autofailover using EFM

Hey guys,

I have been working on EFM to test and perform an autofailover scenario. Everything was configured scuccessfully and the output of efm cluster-status was perfect.

Here is my settings:

3 nodes (One master and two slaves). Efm agents running on all 3 nodes.auto.failover is set to true in efm.properties.

Below is the content of recovery.conf on the two slaves:

standby_mode = 'on'
primary_conninfo = 'user=enterprisedb passfile=''/opt/edb/as10/.pgpass'' host='master_db_ip' port='portnum' sslmode=prefer sslcompression=1 krbsrvname=postgres target_session_attrs=any'
trigger_file='/tmp/trigger_slave1'
recovery_target_timeline = 'latest'
restore_command='scp enterprisedb@master_db_ip:/opt/edb/archives/%f %p'

To test failover, I stopped the master database. After which i ran the efm cluster-status command and found that standby was not promoted to master and it was in "Promoting" state. I waited for a long time to see if it becomes a new master but it never did.Please let me know what should i check for to resolve this ? Has anyone faced this issue before?

Thanks and Regards,

Nikhil

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
EDB Team Member

Re: Standby is in promoting state after autofailover using EFM

To test failover, I stopped the master database. After which i ran the efm cluster-status command and found that standby was not promoted to master and it was in "Promoting" state. I waited for a long time to see if it becomes a new master but it never did.Please let me know what should i check for to resolve this ? Has anyone faced this issue before?

Was the trigger file created? If so, then there's something wrong in your database setup so that the standby never came out of recovery -- check the database log. If not, check the efm agent log on that standby node. If there was a problem, though, the efm agent should have sent an email notification to you.

You can look for "Writing trigger file as specified in recovery.conf." in the efm agent log to find the place where it tried to promote the standby.

Cheers,

Bobby

4 REPLIES
EDB Team Member

Was the trigger file created? If so, then there's something wrong in your database setup so that the standby never came out of recovery -- check the database log. If not, check the efm agent log on that standby node. If there was a problem, though, the efm agent should have sent an email notification to you.

You can look for "Writing trigger file as specified in recovery.conf." in the efm agent log to find the place where it tried to promote the standby.

Cheers,

Bobby

Level 3 Adventurer

Thanks Bobby!

Issue resolved. I think it was the location of the trigger file that caused the standby database to be in promoting state and not perform recovery.

Location was probably unreachable.

Thank you once again.

Regards,

Nikhil

EDB Team Member

Issue resolved. I think it was the location of the trigger file that caused the standby database to be in promoting state and not perform recovery.

One small note of caution here. I only know of this happening once, but that's once too many. When it's time to promote a standby, EFM reads the trigger file location from the recovery.conf file. If someone edits recovery.conf to change the location and forgets to tell the database (i.e. a restart), then efm will happily create the file and the database won't care at all and nothing good happens.

Not that you would ever do that, but it's possible. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Bobby

Level 3 Adventurer

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for your valuable inputs!

Extra knowledge surely helps!Smiley Wink

Regards,

Nikhil