Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mount Point in Production Env

SOLVED
Level 3 Adventurer

Mount Point in Production Env

Hello Experts,

Default EDB installation will have all directories under PG_DATA which will be a single mountpoint. However, in real world, for a system with huge number of transactions and a lot of IO, should there be separate mountpoints? In Oracle, we separate data, pg_xlog (redo) and archive logs minimally.

We read somewhere that atleast pg_xlog (especially because it does fsync) should be on a separate disk and hence there should be a separate dedicated mountpoint. But in virtual environments, even if we ask and get 2 searate disks/mountpoints, both of those LUNs may come from the same set of disks on direct-attached-storage OR SAN. In that case, is it still beneficial to separate the mountpoints and hence the filesystems?

Thanks

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: Mount Point in Production Env

Hi,

It's true that in order to reduce I/O bottleneck you need to spread your data files over multiple mount points.

In Postgres by using tablespaces you can easily spread out tables and indexes of a database on different mount points post installation. For moving the pg_xlog directory to another location, while the server is shut down, of course and create a symbolic link from the original location in the main data directory to the new location.

In case of VM's or any other setup, if having separate mount points doesn't result in reduction o physical I/O there is not much advantage of doing that.

3 REPLIES 3
Community Manager

Hi,

It's true that in order to reduce I/O bottleneck you need to spread your data files over multiple mount points.

In Postgres by using tablespaces you can easily spread out tables and indexes of a database on different mount points post installation. For moving the pg_xlog directory to another location, while the server is shut down, of course and create a symbolic link from the original location in the main data directory to the new location.

In case of VM's or any other setup, if having separate mount points doesn't result in reduction o physical I/O there is not much advantage of doing that.

Level 3 Adventurer

Thanks Deepanshu.

We will be going with separate mountpoints viz. /data, /waLogs, /archiveLogs and will ensure that we have enough IOPs according to the write-nature of these.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Happy to help :-)