cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EDB Postgres newbie

Level 3 Adventurer

EDB Postgres newbie

Hello Experts:

We are a team of newbies and have a few (possibly basic) queries on EDB postgres as well on resources available using which we can educate ourselves:

1. We believe BART and pg_barman are both backup and recovery tools like Oracle rman. Only diff being former is from EDB whereas the latter is available with community edition.  And hence, if we are using EDB PG, then we should use BART, mainly because we will get support from EDB and possibly it will have some better features over and above barman. Is the understanding correct?

2. For Oracle, there is OTN and community.oracle.com. Is there something similar available for EDB PG? Is Postgres Rocks what we are looking for or is there something else available?

3. Is this is the right forum/community to post queries wrt EDB postgres (the commercial offering)?

4. Oracle provides a client only pkg for download and install which contains sqlplus and alike tools and drivers, etc. Is there something available for EDB PG? We only see server pkgs available for download. What if we want to have only edb-psql on a client machine?

Many Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Community Manager

Re: EDB Postgres newbie

Good Evening!

Great questions, all of them.  Here are the basic answers:

1. Integration between Advanced Server and BART is certainly a better match than barman.  Barman is available for the community version, but is not compiled or packaged with it outside of what may be provided by an independent party or 2nd Quadrant themselves.  

2.  Close!  PostgresRocks.net is not quite an analog for OTN in its entirety; consider it very close to the community purposing of OTN, except this platform is to enable growth of Postgres at large and is not restricted to EDB Postgres itself (or the associated tool suite).  We will build out different components as the users call for it and where it makes sense, so consider this a living experiment - where need or interest arises, we have the ability to adapt to that change.

3. You certainly can post questions related to EDB Postgres if curious about certain aspects, technical or otherwise - but you can also post about Postgres and its use in its entirety, with no coupling to any formalized solution.  EDB does provide specific forums on here (such as this board) for the EDB product suite, and questions / discussion are what will make it thrive!  Additionally, if we see an EDB customer here who isn't quite getting the answer they need in this broader forum, we'll often take the next step and pull them into a direct engagement.

4. Have you tried the StackBuilder Plus installation (https://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads/postgres-postgresql-downloads)?  Or am I misunderstanding the question?

Thanks for participating, very excited to see that you've jumped in on several new threads already!

Regards,

Jamie

Highlighted
Level 3 Adventurer

Thanks Jamie for the answers and the motivation. Long way to go....for us!

- Will stick to BART.

- Will post here (for now we are only looking at and using EDB).

- That link opens the downloads page. Once I select EDB 9.6.4 and, say, Linux_x86_64, it starts the ~150mb download which I believe is the server pkg. What I am looking for is a client-only pkg which should be smaller size and small footprint. Basically why download and install the entire server engine? for e.g. on my windows laptop, I need just the client side tools like edb-psql, edbplus, some connectors, PEM client, etc. Will have a look at StackBuilderPlus.

Regards

Level 3 Adventurer

A quick look at stackbuilderplus seems to suggest that we are close. A couple of questions, if I may:

1. At production site, there's no GUI access. So is there a stackbuilderplus CLI?

2. At production site, there's no direct internet access to download. Basically, we would need to send a pkg that the site team will unzip and/or install. So can we use stackbuilderplus in our IDC/labs and construct a client-only types small footprint pkg that we can then send to site?

Thanks a ton.

Level 3 Adventurer

StackBuilderPlus seems to be the tool to install add-ons once the EDB PPAS server is installed. Instead, we are looking for something in place of EDB PPAS.

What do other customers install on the application servers (database client machines)? Do they install the entire PPAS, I would not think so. Its only the connectors, and some other tools like edbplus, loader, etc. that are required on the client.

Can somebody pls assist?

Thanks

@pcpg wrote:

A quick look at stackbuilderplus seems to suggest that we are close. A couple of questions, if I may:

1. At production site, there's no GUI access. So is there a stackbuilderplus CLI?

2. At production site, there's no direct internet access to download. Basically, we would need to send a pkg that the site team will unzip and/or install. So can we use stackbuilderplus in our IDC/labs and construct a client-only types small footprint pkg that we can then send to site?

Thanks a ton.

Unfortunately, there's no CLI version of Stackbuilder Plus.  If you need something accessible by commandline and if you need offline operability, you may wish to consult our YUM Repository, but the packages there will require a subscription.  We'll need more details about the environment that you're trying to create, and we can try to point you in the right direction.

Level 3 Adventurer

Thanks Richyen

We do have a subscription. Kindly let me know what details do you need about the env. 

But just wondering, can we NOT simply download the packages, copy it to production server and install only the required components from the package? Kinda lost.

Regards