cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation Issue on Windows 7 64 Bit PC

Highlighted
Adventurer

Installation Issue on Windows 7 64 Bit PC

I keep getting an error about the VC++ installer. Here is the info from the temp log:

Script stderr:

Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Data Directory. Setting variable iDataDirectory to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Base Directory. Setting variable iBaseDirectory to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Service ID. Setting variable iServiceName to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Service Account. Setting variable iServiceAccount to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Super User. Setting variable iSuperuser to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Branding. Setting variable iBranding to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Version. Setting variable brandingVer to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 Shortcuts. Setting variable iShortcut to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-x64-9.6 DisableStackBuilder. Setting variable iDisableStackBuilder to empty value
[21:38:02] Existing base directory:
[21:38:02] Existing data directory:
[21:38:02] Using branding: PostgreSQL 9.6
[21:38:02] Using Super User: postgres and Service Account: NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService
[21:38:02] Using Service Name: postgresql-x64-9.6
Executing cscript //NoLogo "C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer_0c1ecac7b7\prerun_checks.vbs"
Script exit code: 0

Script output:
The scripting host appears to be functional.

Script stderr:

Executing C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer_0c1ecac7b7\vcredist_x64.exe /passive /norestart
Script exit code: 5

Script output:

Script stderr:
Program ended with an error exit code

Error running C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer_0c1ecac7b7\vcredist_x64.exe /passive /norestart: Program ended with an error exit code
Executing C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\Temp\postgresql_installer_0c1ecac7b7\vcredist_x86.exe /passive /norestart
Script exit code: 5

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Installation Issue on Windows 7 64 Bit PC

Hi,

The installation is failing with exit error code "5", this error code will be returned incase if the script/user dont have sufficient access or if you have some issue with permission's.

To troubleshoot this issue further could you please try below solutions,

1> Try changing the TEMP directory or verify if you have proper permission on TEMP directory,

For Example,
Try to launch the installer from cmd by setting the manual TEMP location,
c:\>mkdir mytemp
c:\>cd mytemp
c:\mytemp>set TEMP=c:\mytemp
c:\mytemp>
c:\mytemp>echo %TEMP%
c:\mytemp
c:\mytemp>c:\postgresql-9.6.3-2-windows-x64.exe

Check if the installer is able to launch or still you are getting the same error?

2> Can you please confirm if you are running the installer using "Run as Administrator" option?

Adventurer

I don't understand how to do any of that. Yes, I am running it as administrator. Now, I keep getting the message:

"Error ocured during VC ++ runtime installer"....

This is frustrating. I'm about to forget it and just get my money back on the online course.

Level 3 Traveller

Commonly we attain confused when we finally hear the exact terms website development service in addition to internet developer getting used interchangeably. But thoughts is broken done looking over this, all your individual confusions may perhaps disappear. Poof!

Level 3 Traveller

Thanks. I have a similar issue. I will try your solution and see if it works run 3